Well you should be! Landing pages convert those flirtatious site visitors who are just checking you out and turns them into, well if not life long partners, then at least a first dinner date!
But there's a big problem with landing pages.
Typically, B2B marketers use landing pages as part of their website lead generation process. But how much is that beautiful site traffic worth if your site visitors don’t convert? According to New York Times Best Selling author, Bryan Eisenberg, on average only 2% of visitors convert once they reach a landing page!
That is a staggeringly low statistic if you stop for a moment and consider that in most cases the visitor has chosen (by clicking on a link) to go there.
The 5 Dimensions of a Landing Page
Eisenburg argues there are 5 dimensions to a landing page. These dimensions include:
- Relevance: is your content relevant to the needs of your audience?
- Quality: have high quality images been used on the landing page?
- Location: are elements of the page properly located to catch attention and inspire action?
- Proximity: does the flow of your landing page allow for quick access?
- Prominence: are your calls to action prominently displayed and easy to access?
The Conversion Trinity
In order to properly develop the dimensions listed above it is essential that you focus on the “conversion trinity.” This trinity is a series of questions that your customers will ask themselves either consciously or subconsciously as they are on your site.
- Is this page relevant to my query?
- Do I know why this is the right solution for me?
- Is it obvious what I need to do next?
Think carefully about these three points when you design the layout, the text you use, the graphics and, of course, the all important "offer". The elements at your disposal include:
- Call-to-Action Buttons
- Page Layout
- Promotions and Offers
- Form fields and actions
There are a lot of elements to play with and it's very important to systematically A/B test to see which ones appear to work best. We have written in other blog posts about the importance of testing and the process to follow if you're interested.
Landing pages play an important role in the broader challenge of building an effective lead generation engine. If you would like to read more about this please feel free to download our free eBook, The Race for Quality Leads:
How do you get your landing pages to convert better? Let us know in the comment section below.